VICTORIAN RAILWAYS

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
windsor_lad

VICTORIAN RAILWAYS

Post by windsor_lad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Can someone advise who is being talked about here?
This was received by RCTS Enquiries.

Greetings, Possibly someone at your organisation will be able to provide an answer. About twenty years ago I was watching a television program on our educational channel. The subject was the early days of railway development in the UK. Some conceited character was quoted as disapproving of the further development of railways because they "would encourage the rabble to mill about needlessly." I have tried to identify the person quoted for some time. I believe he was a person of note, perhaps an office holder or lesser peerage.

pdeaves

Re: VICTORIAN RAILWAYS

Post by pdeaves » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:53 pm

It is possible that this isn't a direct spoken quote but more a reflection of attitudes of the time. Most men higher up the social scale had an aversion to those at the bottom doing anything other than working.

RichardCoulthurst

Re: VICTORIAN RAILWAYS

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:05 pm

I think this is a reference to a remark by the Duke of Wellington:
'...third class facilities are a breach of contract, a premium to the lower orders to go uselessly wandering about the country'

quoted by Clement Edwards in 'Railway Nationalisation,1898

See 'Dow's Dictionary of Railway Quotations' by Andrew Dow, published by The John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2006

I think the Duke would have been most offended to be considered an office holder or 'lesser peerage'!